Authenticity: Where It’s At
What does being ‘authentic’ actually mean? And why has it become a buzz word?
The dictionary defines authentic as “undisputed origin and not a copy; genuine”. Authenticity is embracing the fact you are one of a kind, make solely for a purpose – no-one does you like you.
Why has it become so talked about? Well because it seems for a whole generation there are people who have worked themselves literally to the grave; pushed through their whole lives working in a system they were taught was ‘normal’ and necessary for success; no matter how good or bad it made them feel or who they had to impress to do it. Now, as they come to the ends of their careers and lives, some of the most successful and influential people in the world are leaving powerful and heartfelt messages to entrepreneurs as their legacy.
That message is: true happiness and success in life comes not from things; but experiences and relationships.
With more and more people making this realisation it’s become apparent they are clearly drawn to people living a similar lifestyle. Being authentic. Network marketing has given people a way to achieve that balance of success and lifestyle but if you’re not authentic in doing that – what does it matter? That is why authenticity has become not just a buzz word but a necessary part of a) becoming a successful entrepreneur and b) being truly happy.
Why and how does this fit in to becoming a successful network marketing professional?
- We are in a relationship-building business. And when you are building and maintaining relationships, authenticity is key. People can smell a fake or ulterior motive a mile away.
- Being real builds trust. People support those they trust. If they can feel you’re genuine and know what you’re saying rungs true to you, they’re more likely to join and support you.
- Adding value. Being real, genuine and legitimate in your intentions not only adds value and meaning to your own life; but to those around you.
- Authenticity is refreshing and inspiring. Owning who you are, what you do and how you do it is inspiring to other people. No-one is perfect (despite how much they seem to be) and when you embrace your flaws alongside your strengths, it inspires others to do the same. You become relatable – and people want to be around you.
- You were meant to be you. When you try to be anything but who you really are; you’ll find not much goes your way. The more you resist your true self, the more you’ll feel like you’re falling into a hole you can’t get out of. This will reflect in the physical results in your business.
So next time you go to shrink yourself because of someone else’s vision, think again. The only way you will find true success and happiness is by embracing who you are, taking action on what you stand for and being unapologetic about it. Do that and watch your world shine.
Live, love, lead by design x